The thickness of paint layers and other coatings can generally be determined using SEM on cross-sectioned samples. A combination of EDX and FTIR is used to determine the composition. Extremely thin surface layers on metals and other inorganics can be accomplished using Auger depth profiling.
Common questions related to coating thickness and composition analysis:
- Approximately how thick is the material in question?
- Why are you checking its thickness?
- Is there more than one layer in question?
- Do you need to know composition as well as thickness?
- Is contamination of the layer a concern?